Friday, December 28, 2007

Where I'll Be Going

I've compiled a list of places I plan on going in England. Some of these are famous, others not so much. If you have any suggestions, or even if you've stumbled across someplace on the Internet that looks fun... let me know!

In addition to York proper, here's the list of other towns/sites I hope to see before returning to the US.
  • Hay-on-Wye - a tiny town in Wales with over 30 book shops. Known as a mecca for bibliophiles and for its book festival in June.
  • Barter Books in Alnwick- I discovered this town in Northumberland when looking to get a copy of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster. Since it's relatively near York, and I'm always looking to go off the beaten path, I'll pay it a visit.
  • Loch Ness-- I'll visit it maybe when Scotland isn't quite so cold (i.e. June). The environs are supposed to be gorgeous, so I won't waste my time looking for Nessie.
  • London Ghost Walk - Recommended by Gina, I think I may have to wait till Marquis comes to do this one. I'm a chicken!
  • Winchester - Once the political and religious seat of power in England (before it got moved to London/Canterbury), this city has a beautiful cathedral and all sorts of other lovely buildings. Maybe I'll get tired of architecture on this trip, but really? I dont' think so!
  • Chawton - Home of Jane Austen - As an Anglophile with 19th century sensibilities, I must go to Jane Austen's home. Not off the beaten path, but a must-see anyway.
  • Bath - I've gotten 3 recommendations from to visit Bath from various Brits I know with wildly differing tastes. I've got to go because of the Roman baths, the cathedral, and the surrounding villages.
  • Donna Nook - inspired by the cute fat squishiness of this photo (warning: it's a cute overload!) I want to go and have a look at the seals. Hopefully I won't be overcome by the cute and decide to squeeze one. That could be dangerous! I'll probably go here on one of my first weekends, as the seals tend to be around more during the winter.
  • Haworth, Yorkshire - Home of the Bronte Sisters - As with Jane Austen (but this one is closer!) I simply must pay visit to the home of the Bronte Sisters. I'll be in the Yorkshire moors, living my life much as the despondent Catherine, loathing and loving the brooding Heathcliffe!
  • Cath Kidston Store - Not sure which location I'll make it to yet. I was inspired to visit this store because of the Yvestown blog. My aesthetic falls almost entirely under this category of country-flowery-prettiness.
  • Sawrey, Cumbria - A village in the Lake District where Beatrix Potter wrote most of her stories. I passed through here on my last trip to England in 2002, and was completely charmed by it. I want to go back.
  • Hadrian's Wall - Our tour group in high school stopped here. I was fascinated by the museum and the countryside. This will be somewhere I go with Marquis, because of the classical connections.
  • Scarborough - Not far from York, I'd like to take a stop in town to have a look-about.
  • Oxford - A town you visit because it's there, and chock full of history. Why else? Oh, the University, the fact that places Chaucer described are still there!
Of course I've neglected London, but that's another post for another time and another list. And obviously I'll get recommendations from friends and I'll do some traveling with them at places I've never even considered before.

But that's all part of the adventure!

No comments: